Saturday, May 4, 2013

I try to follow directions...

On Thursday, I picked up the next block of the BOM quilt I am doing in celebration of the 5th anniversary of a friend's shop. My friend, Polly, designed the quilt for any customers who wanted to help her celebrate. The pattern is a single sheet of paper and we just get a sketch of the block each month with fabric. The quilt is hanging in her shop. Anyway I decided to make the May block last night - each block is easy - she designed the quilt to be simple. 

A little background - I was late signing up for the BOM (we were traveling) so I didn't get the color scheme I wanted. I decided that whatever was left would be fine. Although DH doesn't really care for sampler quilts, I decided that I wanted to make this because Polly designed it. Also neither DH nor I are into real dark colors. When the first block came out I bought the finishing kit.

Last night, after making the block, I decided it was time to work on setting triangles and sashings. So I read the pattern page - maybe four times! I had fabric for the setting triangles, the double sashings, the single sashings, and the corner squares. And I had another piece???? I decided it must be for binding but it was ample fabric. 

I decided that the pretty leaf fabric would look better as the setting triangles than in the sashing. I cut the leaf fabric and put it on all of the blocks that I have done. Other than being very dark, all went well and I now have all of the setting triangles cut. I went back to the pattern and read it one more time and when I put it down, I accidentally turned it over. There were more instructions on the back! The leaf fabric was for the border!!! And the lighter green in the setting triangles would not have been nearly as dark!
block with setting triangles
I auditioned the fabric I had left and decided the green would be the inside single sashing and the orange the outside double sashing. So I cut the green in 1 1/2" strips for the single sashing. When I began to cut the orange into 2" strips for the double sashing, I realized that I did not have enough fabric! I knew I only had 1/2 yard of the orange but I guess I forgot when I was just trying to work things out. So the green has to be the double sashing and the orange the single sashing. So the sashings are just going to be a little narrower. It's not the first time I've messed something like that up!
three strip sashing will be on all four sides of block
I need to work on the corner stones - they are pieced and the measurements have now changed - but decided that I'll wait for another day!


  1. Those are definitely my colors! I can already imagine so many quilting possibilities!! That is beautiful but I can empathize with the frustration of missing parts of the directions. Been there done/ that and have, unfortunately, repeated it!! Ugh! Blessings D

    1. I like fall colors - hopefully the sashing will make this less dark! I haven't even thought about the quilting possibilities - you are way ahead of me! Of course, the last block won't be done until December. Things are going much better today! ~Jeanne

  2. That sounds like something I would do. ;-) Still, it's such a pretty quilt.

  3. I've read the directions wrong many times. Just last week, I cut and stitched together the binding for 2 quilts. Ding dong me cut the wrong fabric, and had to go back and cut the correct fabric. Now I have binding for 2 quilts, that I don't need. Oh well, it will get used.



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...