Thursday, September 6, 2012

Statendam Cruise - part 2


I feel good. Ray feels good. So Life is Good again! It is so nice to be over the motion sickness!

We spent a day in Glacier Bay and the sun came out for part of the day.

The day in Haines was fun – rather cool, extremely windy, but no rain! I knew there was a quilt shop but what a surprise to find out that there are two!

Inside Passage Quilting is a small shop very close to the dock – some fabric and a longarm business. The owner was friendly and talkative. I found some fabric to buy!

Material Girls Ltd is downtown. It has a wonderful assortment of fabrics and yarns. The lady working was so nice. It was a great stop and I’d definitely return to the store the next time I’m in Haines. Can you believe that I found more fabric to buy!!!
I loved this sign at Material Girls. I’m definitely not a quitter!


We found the post office and shipped home my second box of fabric. Flat Rate boxes are great – they cost the same in Alaska as in the lower 48.

We visited Fort Seward and the American Bald Eagle Foundation Natural History Museum. We really like Haines. It is still a small town without all of the cruise ship stores. Everything appears to be local and the people are very friendly. 

We thought we might be in Haines another day. We couldn’t sail at 8:30PM because of strong winds - 50 knots! (I guess safe sailing is 30 knots or less.) They called for a tug from Ketchikan to get us away from the dock. Sounds like we finally sailed about 1 AM! With no traffic and no speed limit, we made it to Juneau right on time!

I love our towel animal each night 

along with the chocolates left by our steward!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...