Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Zaandam Cruise - part 1

We are once again on land but Wi-Fi is a little iffy in rural Alaska. I'll post when I can.

We cruised from Vancouver, British Columbia to Seward, Alaska on the Zaandam, one of the dam ships! Most of our days were overcast and cool. We did have some rain but we had a great time and met some interesting people including two couples that live 30 miles from us!

A great part of any cruise is food!

Most of the time we ate on the Lido Deck, deck 8. The dining area was at the back of the ship.



It is cafeteria 'plus' style. It is set up like a cafeteria line but the food was great and you could get many things cooked to order. The crew would gladly get you whatever you wanted while you were in the line and/or while you were seated. We usually chose window seats as did most people.

The Dining Room was on decks 4 and 5 at the back of the ship. Every meal was four courses and everything was served. My chair was always pulled out by a crew member and my napkin was placed on my lap for me.

One afternoon we were fortunate to have a tour of the kitchen. This is the head chef - he was really friendly and we saw him often in the dining areas.

This crew member was preparing vegetables.


 We had many kinds of bread everyday.

One night was the dessert extravaganza - the pictures can't begin to show the beauty! There were ice sculptures.

 Lots of desserts and flowers!

The extravaganza was set up around the pool (we didn't get a photo of the pool that night - the dome was closed.) The seas were a little high that night and the pool water was rolling over the sides of the pool. 

And I just had to include a couple of the flower arrangements - they were beautiful!

I don't think I ever sat anywhere inside the ship where I couldn't see fresh flowers!

1 comment:

  1. Seeing your pictures have made me ready to go on our cruise NOW! Hope you enjoy Alaska!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...