Sunday, July 1, 2018

Rainy Day

For the last few years, our niece Tracy has screen-printed shirts for everyone attending the 4th of July celebration at the cabin. This year, people had a choice of red, white, or navy. I chose red - this is my shirt.

A little background: The original cabin here at the lake was built by my grandparents in 1947. As children, my brothers and I were here every year with our parents and as adults, we were/are here as often as possible. My dad inherited the cabin in 1966 after both of my grandparents passed away. Dad died in 1981 and Mom kept the cabin for a few years but eventually sold it to 2 of my brothers and myself (one brother did not want ownership). Fast forward a few more years - one brother sold his share to my oldest brother and bought a cabin 3 doors away that is now his permanent residence. My oldest brother really wanted the original cabin and bought my share with the understanding that we could visit whenever we wanted. He has remodeled some of the cabin but retained the footprint and much of the original character including the large screen porch that my mom added in the 80s.


When Tracy arrived yesterday, she asked, with a silly grin, if I had seen the shirts yet. No??? She held one up - it looked great but...

 do you see it down at the bottom? It's the Wienermobile!

Maybe I'd better explain. When I was born, I was named after the song "I dream of Jeanie". My mom loved the song and dreamed of having a daughter after already having 2 sons. She spelled my name "Jeanne" and was positive that the boys couldn't find a nickname. Ha! The day we came home from the hospital my brothers called me "Jeanne Weenie"! Growing up, I was often called Weenie and eventually Wiener. As adults, the name didn't surface much until I had nieces and nephews old enough to talk - of course I was known as Aunt Wiener (thanks to their dads). And now I have also been called Grandma Wiener (thanks to those same dads, my brothers).

When niece Tracy found out Ray and I were coming over the 4th (our first time at the 4th celebration in many, many years), she decided to commemorate it on the shirt. She thought about adding "Year of the Wiener" but eventually decided to just sketch a replica of the Oscar Mayer Wienermobile - everyone in the family knows immediately what it means. I do love my family - really! 

=====

It rained until about 4 pm today. It's been a rather quiet day with a little shopping, some visiting, and then dinner out with everyone that's here tonight. Last week I loved spending time with my brothers and now we are adding spending time with their kids and their kids.  In this moment, I am content.

2 comments:

  1. Wonderful story! Got to love those generational memories. Enjoy that special rare contentment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My father nick named me 'piddle puddle' since I'd piddle across the room and stop to make a puddle (cloth diapers in those days). When I grew up, he just called me 'piddle' instead. Thank goodness no one else ever used that nick name. At least you are celebrated.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...