Saturday, November 25, 2017

Just Sailing Along ...

A while back, Leslie, The Cuddle Quilter, made a Sailboat Quilt that I just loved - you can see her post here. I decided to make my own pattern - good for my mind and my stash because it usually takes more fabric!

I made a few prototypes - some will be used in a later quilt. I took my favorite one and made 24 more boats. Then I realized that one measurement of the prototype was different from the 24 boats. So I made the quilt with just 20 boats. The prototype is on the back and the other 4 boats will be used in another quilt some day.

This donation quilt is 48" by 51". We had a nice day today so I got a couple of photos outside.

I think the back would have looked neat with the color "stripes" going horizontal instead of vertical but there wasn't enough fabric.

The white piece under the sail in the prototype on the back finished at 3/4" high. On all of the other blocks, the piece finished at 1 1/4" high. I wonder how that happened??! 

The batting is Dream Cotton and I used Aurifil thread for piecing and quilting. You can see the blue binding better when the quilt is on the design wall.

I free motion quilted waves using my quilting rulers. I haven't done much free motion quilting in a while and I really do need practice. The quilt has been laundered and my little bobbles blend in much better now - whew!

I think the best thing that happened this week was that my oldest brother was moved from the VA hospital to a rehab center much closer to his home. Yesterday my other two brothers and I were able to visit with him. This is a picture of the four of us. It is seldom that all 4 of us are together, as well as our surviving spouses, so it was a special time.  And Tom, aka Santa, can now walk about 20 feet. We are hoping that his time at rehab goes quickly - he is ready to be home!

I've started a pair of socks for Ray. The yarn color is 'Bears' as in Chicago Bears. They are rather loud!

We have one more Thanksgiving celebration tomorrow. The house is clean, the pies are made ... I am ready!

3 comments:

  1. Your boats are so cute. Love how you staggered the setting, and the backing is great.
    Tell Tom to hang tough and keep doing all the things the therapists say. The road is long but he can do it.:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sailboat quilt is adorable! So glad you were able to get together with family. Enjoy the time with family again today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahhh, your sail boat quilt is fabulous! You did such a wonderful job, and the quilting is perfect for it! I feel like making another after seeing this beauty! What a great picture of the four of you...and yes, your brother does resemble Santa! Good luck with those socks...you are so talented!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...