Tuesday, December 13, 2011

The Saga of our KitchenAid Mixer

Our mixer broke the week before Thanksgiving. The little silver thing on the front of the mixer fell into the bowl while the mixer was running. Just like that ~ a funny noise and the beaters would not turn!

I began searching and learned about worm gears. I found videos on youtube. When we could not find a repair person, I ordered a worm gear assembly (it was cheaper than a worm gear!) and some grease from MarBeck.com. Of course, everything arrived AFTER Thanksgiving - we had whipped cream from a can on our pie this year ;( 

Ray got tools, we got this video going, and we (he) replaced the worm gear assembly and all of the black grease. We, the unfixit people, fixed it - or so we thought! When we turned it on, there was NO power! Back to the internet. What do we know about brushes? Ray found an article and we tried unsuccessfully to fix them.

A couple of weeks ago, I decided that I'd better start shopping - I NEEDED a mixer. Before moving our mixer to the basement or the garbage, I decided one more try. I removed those brushes and tried one more time - HOLY COW, the connection was made! We had power and the beaters turned!

I haven't had a chance to use the mixer until today. It is time to make cookies. I wondered if it would actually work with dough - it does! 


Hard to believe but WE FIXED IT!

There is definitely a need for KitchenAid mixer repair people - so if we decide to be un-retired, maybe we'll apply!

2 comments:

  1. I sure know where to send mine if it ever needs repair now. Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's impressive - I think everyone I know would have given up on the mixer without even trying to find out how to fix it.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...