Saturday, February 23, 2019

A quilt named 2X4

I finished 2X4. When I began this quilt, I made a unit with 2 1/2" squares that was 2 squares by 4 square. Since then I have referred to this quilt as 2X4. This is the second quilt that I wasn't sure about taking to the Children's hospital but my young friends (high school and college age) that were here in late December convinced me that some child would love it. 

I saw a picture a while back and this is kind of what I remember with my own modifications. I decided on the quilt to use some of my 2 1/2 inch squares. You know I have plenty of them! The quilt is 56" by 64". The back is the same color as the border but a different fabric.

I free motion quilted a meandering motif with #2326 beige Aurifil thread on the top and #2784 blue Aurifl thread on the bottom. In the border I used blue instead of beige on the top. I recently learned that stippling and meandering are the same motif except stippling is small and meandering is large. I always thought they were the same. Anyway, this is definitely meandering. 

This is the last quilt that was on my January list to finish! There are a few  UFOs around here that I am using as leader/ender projects. In January there were zero quilts on the donation pile and now there are 11! I hope to add at least 5 more before we leave on a trip in May. I find that I don't get as much quilting time in the summer so I want to finish as many quilts as possible early in the year. I do have 9 quilts started and most of them are kitted. I have a retreat coming up and I'm ready. Here are some sneak peeks of the some of the upcoming projects:
ice cream cones
blue scraps
red and white 2 1/2" squares

I have been refolding all of my fabric and putting a few pieces in a donation pile. I am over half done and it's amazing how much better everything fits into the drawers. I have to keep plugging away at this job - it isn't as much fun as sewing.

We had SUN on Thursday so I went with Ray on a photo shoot. Here are a couple of my pictures.
Hyde's Mill

Hyde's Chapel

The sun didn't stick around long and we had freezing rain last night with rain all day today. Our temperatures have been between 31 and 33 degrees all day. Tomorrow we are expecting strong winds. And...there is another storm coming so I'll just keep sewing.

1 comment:

  1. Great finish on your 2x4! Perfect for a leader ender. I agree, some one will love it. New projects look great.....especially the red and white! Wow, inspiration abounds!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...