Saturday, January 18, 2014

Burp!

The baby is due in March, our 8th grandchild. And, of course, it is a boy! Number 3 son for this family. Mom-to-be Emily wanted burp cloths and asked if I could make them. Of course!

Last Monday, we went fabric shopping. Emily doesn't sew but I think she enjoys looking at fabrics - all of the colors, textures, and patterns. We had fun picking out flannels.

I found patterns for burp cloths online but tweaked and tweaked. Emily wanted the cloth 'cut out' at the neckline but she didn't want a tiny cloth. 
burp cloth pattern - to be placed on a fold
I wanted the cloth to have flannel on both sides. And I thought we needed a middle layer for absorption. The middle layer is a bar towel or bar mop. I had to undo the hem at each end of the towel for length before I cut it. The towel is stitched into the seam and there are two rows of topstitching so it shouldn't unravel.

Each cloth finished at 8 inches by 17 inches. 


Emily thought 8 - 10 cloths would be fine. I added a little fabric from my stash and I think I got a little carried away... they were fun and easy to make. Here are all of them - no two are identical. I twisted each one so you could also see the other side.


Now it's time to make swaddle blankets… and a nursing cover… and his quilts. I'd better get busy!

3 comments:

  1. Those burp cloths are so sweet! I never thought of making (instead of buying) burp cloths when my daughter was expecting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those burp cloths are really cute! You are a wonderful grandmother!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on the new-to-be grandson. Cute cloths.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...