Friday, July 5, 2013

A change of plans

Sometimes when I start a project, my plans change.

I decided to use some fabric that I bought in May for a table runner. As I progressed, I tossed out the two fabrics with dots and added a soft yellow.
original fabric
I've been wanting to use my Quick Curve Ruler from Sew Kind of Wonderful. And I wanted to use this block that she has on her blog.
Sew Kind of Wonderful's design and block
I tried the block back in February and I thought that six of them together would make a nice table runner. 
But my 9" block wasn't completed it was missing the outside border. The complete block is 16"! When I realized the dimension problem, all of the pieces were cut so I went ahead and made all six blocks.

When I put them on the design board, I thought I would need 3 more blocks for a lap quilt. But I didn't like the arrangement of just blocks so I began playing.


I ended up with a 51" square quilt, Coral Stars. It took quite a while to figure out the corners but I like it. It used every bit of the yellow fabric that I had. In fact a few of the yellow curved corners are pieced together.

Here's a block up close.
I still have two finished blocks which I'll use on the back. 

I'm really glad I didn't have a special place for the table runner that didn't get made!

2 comments:

  1. Your quilt turned out very pretty! I have the Quick Curve Ruler too and I just started piecing the Metro Rings pattern by Sew Kind of Wonderful. I am really loving it so far.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your quilt turned out so cute! I've never done any curved piecing, although a drunkard's path quilt is on my list. It keeps getting pushed further down the last, though - ha!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...