Monday, April 15, 2024

Some finishes and other news

When I was looking through some fabric recently, I came across a fat quarter bundle that I recently inherited from my late friend Colleen. I decided to make Triple Star and I found some background fabric to use with it. I've seen various pictures of Triple Star over the years and decided to draft a pattern. I have no idea who designed the original nor its measurements. My quilt is 62 inches square. 


I used a meandering stitch and Glide #24655 Light Tan thread to quilt this.

The back of this donation quilt is a speckled tan from my stash.

There was quite a bit of fabric left from the fat quarter bundle and I figured that if I added a little fabric (the leftover backing from Triple Star), I could make two more quilts. Squares with Light is a 49" by 55" donation quilt. 

I quilted this with Glide #24655 Light Tan thread and used ruler work. I made simple diamonds within diamonds. 


The backing is a speckled brown fabric that I bought in February.

The other quilt from the scraps is Squares which is also 49" by 55" and a donation quilt. I had to piece two squares, using the same fabric, to have just enough to make this quilt.

I again used Glide #24655 Light Tan thread for the quilting. On this quilt I used diagonal scribble quilting in opposite directions on every other square. 

The backing is the same speckled brown fabric that I bought in February.

And just like that I have used all of that fabric! 

In other news: 
I just returned from a quilting retreat with three friends. We had a great time - a little sewing, delicious food, great weather, and a wonderful time visiting. I'll share projects when I have enough done to share - recall, I said we did a little sewing. 

Ray has spent a lot of time at doctors since the end of January. He has recurrent prostate cancer. He had cancer 10 years ago and his prostate was removed. Evidently a small cancer cell was left behind even though they had clear cells all around the cancer at the time of surgery. The urologist suggested that a small cell might have been dropped as the prostate was removed. Ray had a PET scan in March and cancer cells have been located in a hard-to-treat location. Our 'local' hospital cannot treat the cancer as they would like. So we will meet with an oncologist at the University of Wisconsin Carbone Cancer Center next week. UW has some treatments that our 'local' hospital doesn't have. We pray that they will have an effective, direct treatment that can be used. In the meantime, Ray is doing well. We are both anxious to get treatment started so we can move forward.











2 comments:

  1. First off - thinking of you both with Ray's news and hoping you have good options soon. Your 3 donation quilts are beautiful. You sure did a great job using up that bundle of fabric. I love the quilting on the last one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent use of that FQ bundle, Jeanne! Sorry to hear that you local hospital doesn't have appropriate treatment for Ray. Best of luck with whatever the oncologist determines will work best!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...