Saturday, August 6, 2022

Our trip - the end of week one

Day 4 
Today was a LONG travel day, at least long for us. We left Nashville, IN, and decided to forgo the interstates. As we headed to Hamilton, OH (there was a quilt shop there that I wanted to see), we encountered a closed road because the bridge was out. Oh how I wish we still had a Garmin GPS in our Jeep. Our current Jeep has a TomTom GPS. Let's just say it's a good thing I still have map skills. 😉

As we were headed towards Metamora, IN, I saw a Bean Pouch Barn so we had to go back for pictures. Ray loves seeing these.
We later saw a Bean Pouch ad as a sign on a newer garage. We didn't go back to get the picture.

We finally enjoyed a late lunch. Our waitress was fantastic - when I asked if bread was baking, she brought us fresh hot rolls before we even had water. We were supposed to get bread with our meals - either a roll, a biscuit, or a piece of banana nut bread. I was having a hard time deciding between another roll and the banana nut bread so she suggested I have both. So good! No, she didn't charge for the extra bread. They weren't busy so that may be the reason...

Shortly after lunch we caved and got on the interstate. We decided to bypass Hamilton and headed straight for Chillicothe, OH. After an hour or so, Ray had had enough of the traffic which was mostly trucks. So out came the map again and we headed for the backroads. 

Our first stop in Chillicothe was Old Town Fabric Shop. I have been to this shop many times in the past years. In fact one of the ladies recognized us! They sell Aurifil thread cheaper than any other place I've been. I bought some thread, I found backing fabric and a few fat quarters, and I broke my rule - I bought the layer cake without a plan to use it. My only defense is: I'm on vacation!

When we checked into our motel, the clerk asked if we were going to the 

Tecumseh Drama.

 There were tickets available and it was tempting 
but it is just too warm to sit outside. It's 9 PM and still 87 degrees. We went out to eat and are now just chillin' in our room.

Day 5 
A great start to the day - Ray had biscuits and gravy for breakfast, one of his favorites which isn't often found close to home. 

Our first stop was Bolts and Quarters Quilt Shop in Parkersburg's WV. Actually our first stop was where our GPS took us and we stopped, called the shop, got better directions, and drove a couple miles. As soon as we saw the store, we both said "We've been here before!". 


This is a great store and the people working were fantastic. The young man I spoke with on the phone greeted us when we walked in and was relieved and happy that we found the store. Then he went our of his way to help me. As I was checking out, the lady asked us a couple of questions - she had remembered us! The store is arranged well and very neat. Their fabric selection is great and the thread selection is unreal. We'll definitely stop the next time we are passing through. I found a few treasures and Glide thread, my favorite for long arm quilting.

The quilt shop sent us to Mary B's Diner for lunch. Of course, they didn't disappoint! We shared a piece of delicious homemade blueberry pie for dessert - Oh my!

Tonight we are in Bridgeport, WV. We've had time to rest, a walk in the mall and dinner. There is a large sand sculpture at the mall that was pretty neat.



Day 6
It's another biscuits and gravy day for Ray! We both got in some exercise before starting out this morning. Most of our driving was in rural areas and we encountered light rain and wet roads.

Our first stop was in Thomas WV, a former coal town that currently has a large artist presence. We enjoyed some good wood fired pizza and snagged the directions to Douglas Falls. We followed the directions and when we got to the parking area, we found there was a short hike and then we had to climb down to see the falls. Well, there was no way Ray was going to do that climb today so we tried our best to get pictures through the foliage. This is the best I could get.

This mini falls was very close to where I took the previous picture. It wasn't hard to tell that there had been a lot of rain recently.

The next stop was Blackwater Falls State Park near Davis, WV. We walked down some 'natural' steps and then down some man-made steps. A lady offered to take our picture at the first viewing platform.


After walking down MANY steps and stopping at each viewing platform, we reached the bottom. It was worth the trek down and the climb back up!

Back on the road, we encountered some wicked weather. Ray pulled off the road at one point because it was raining so hard he couldn't see. When the rain let up, it looked like we might get more and we did.


Tonight we are in Harrisonburg in a beautiful airbnb rental. This is the view from our front window.

It's time to rest - my body is feeling the effects of riding three straight days. Ray is doing pretty good but he's tired too.

Day 7
I got up early and woke Ray - we walked out our door to take a picture of the sunrise.

Then we went back to bed and slept in - it's a rest day! After a leisurely breakfast and exercises, we headed to the Harrisonburg Farmers Market. We met Molly who had a booth with quilts and hats, and had a nice chat. She gave me the lowdown on the local quilt shops. 

Molly's favorite shop in the area is Patchwork Plus. It was a nice shop with friendly people. The shop was full of fabric and more. If I were looking for something specific, I think this would be a good place to look. 
 

I bought a backing.

Our next stop was the Silver Lake Mill. It was closed today but interesting to see; it's 200 years old!

Then we headed to the Shenandoah Heritage Market. This was an interesting indoor Country Market. There were many shops and no empty spots. There was a large Kitchenwares shop and many others including Sew Classic Fabrics. (This is Molly's second favorite shop in the area.) The clerks were friendly and the selection was way beyond what I expected to find. I picked out a backing - the orange on the right in the photo and then I found the cobalt blue and coordinating fabrics. I don't think I broke my rule because I sort of have a plan for this fabric or at least I have a few pieces that definitely go together.

We asked the lady checking us out if the Hungry Farmer Cafe inside the Market was good - she said definitely the soups and bread are all homemade. So the decision was made and our lunch was delicious!

Part of our afternoon was spent at the White Oak Lavender Farm. In addition to being a lavender farm, there is a winery, a gift shop, and beautiful grounds and animals. Here are a few photos.








It's been a great out-of-the-car day. We already have the laundry done (our rental has a washer and dryer) and the Chicago Cubs won (Ray was able to watch most of the game on TV). We'll eat in tonight.

Tomorrow we will meet up with our oldest son and his family. We can't wait!!! ❤️

I probably won't post again for at least a week ...

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like you've had a very enjoyable time already. Have a blessed time visiting with your son! Just a heads up on my referral to visit Caroline's in Rome City, DON'T unless you want an adventure! I was there Friday, SR 9 is closed and I had to take the backroads into town.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the way you and Ray travel, Jeanne! Ambling and rambling is this how my family did road trips. My husband? Not so much! He came from a "go straight there as fast as you can with as few stops as possible" sort of family. Enjoy your visit with your family (and we'll see you on the flip side!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun vacation! I love the photos and seeing where you have been. Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My Garmin always wants me to travel on the Interstates, not the back roads. I have to look at a paper map before I head out to figure out what roads I want to take.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...