Friday, January 28, 2022

More Finishes!

We had a pile of toys in our living room for a while. We finally moved them last week; they are going to some kindergarten and pre-school kids that don't have much. Some very kind teachers are spreading them around for us. I'm so happy the toys will be loved again.
=====

I finished a couple more donation quilts! The quilting is fast but the hand stitching of the binding takes some time. My hands cramp at times so I usually only stitch one side of a quilt in a day. I think all those years of hand stitching, hand quilting, and marking papers with red ink have caught up with my hands. I'm so glad I can still do some hand stitching (which I enjoy) even if it is a little slow.

I began the first quilt, Red Border Postage Stamp, in June. My hastily written instructions (I think from TV) said to make four patches from squares of fabric and some with opposite corners white. And that's all I wrote. So I arranged the blocks to make the white diamonds. I have no idea what the original looked like. 

I used  2" squares from my scraps for this quilt and made lots of 4 patches. I put red borders on this to make the quilt larger; it finished at 58" X 58". I quilted this with a large stipple - it was so easy and fast on the longarm! I used Aurifil #2600, Dove Gray thread. 

The back should be a surprise when it is turned over. It's very colorful - I love it!


The second quilt, Postage Stamps with White, is also made from 2" squares - the leftover 4 patches with white from the first quilt.
The scrap box does show a tiny dent! 

This finished at 56" by 56".

This one is quilted with a large loop motif. I used Aurifil #2600, Dove Gray thread. 
 

The backing is not as colorful as the first quilt, but I think it still offers the choice for a reversible quilt.


I finished both quilt tops last July. I think that was about the end of my stitching before my surgery. I'm so blessed to be feeling good and I'm getting stronger which means I do some sewing or quilting most days. Besides enjoying the process, I love finishing quilts. There are more waiting to be quilted so stay tuned.

3 comments:

  1. Both of these little quilts are so cute! They'll be treasured wherever they go, they're happy quilts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So happy that you seem to be enjoying your new toy! Love your newest quilts for kids. I try to choose fabrics hat look nice on either side.

    ReplyDelete
  3. SEW glad to hear that you are enjoying your longarm, Jeanne!! Two lovely finishes. Scrappy quilts are THE BEST!!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...