Wednesday, January 19, 2022

First projects of 2022 and more

My first projects of 2022 are my first projects using the longarm.

The first one was actually my second practice piece which I decided to finish and use. I took some leftover Christmas jelly roll strips and sewed them end to end. Then I cut 8 - 49" strips. 

I made this 16" X 49" table runner as a QAYG (quilt as you go). Everything except the binding was done on the longarm. Each time I added a strip (after the first), I quilted the previous strip. It was good practice, educational, and I ended up with a Christmas table runner. Not bad! The back is some Christmas fabric from my stash. I used Finesse #3285 Light Wool (light gray) thread.

I made the second quilt at least a year ago. I used scraps from my orphan and scrap bins and added the green because I thought the colors popped with it. I call it the Bright Green Quilt.


I quilted this with a free-hand double loop. The larger loops are probably 4 - 5" in diameter. I couldn't quilt large motifs on my domestic machine so I just had to try something a little bigger. It was fun and so fast! The stitches are beautiful - my stitch regulator is wonderful.


This quilt is about 50" x 57". The back is a bright green that I found at Quilting in the Valley in LaSalle, IL. 




There is a very good chance that I will get caught up quilting my finished tops this year!

Health update:
I was released from my spine surgery care yesterday, 1-18-22! Today I began weaning off of the last pain medicine. That will take 2.5 months.  

My scans show that my hardware hasn't moved since surgery which is great. And they show that bone is forming next to the screws and rods which delights me. I take daily shots for my bone health and this is proof they are working.

I was told 3 - 6 month recovery and I was released from care 3 days prior to 3 months. My surgeon's PA was amazed at my scans and said no PT! I will now work to get back strength and stamina. I need to go slow. I can do that - I have experience, having worked my way back from my first spine surgery in 2011. 

7 comments:

  1. Congratulations are in order, Jeanne. Awesome practice pieces and great health update!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful news! Looks like you are putting that long arm purchase to good use. Have fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry to hear about your back op but it sounds as though the worst is over and you're on the road to recovery. Love your new machine and looks like you are managing well and doing some lovely work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carolyn. The worst is over and I feel good. I do love my long arm and try to do a little stitching every day. ~Jeanne (The email with this will not go thru - it could be my server.)

      Delete
  4. Quilts are awesome, I love all the pretty Christmas fabric in your runner. The green really does make the other quilt pop! Good choice on your part. Glad to hear you're doing so well after surgery. By chance is it Harrington Rods? Your description made it sound like that. My Dad had that done years ago after a very bad fall off the roof top of the house. Spotted you on a mutual blog friends blog, so thought I'd pop over to say hi. Always fun to meet new bloggers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I fell so far behind on blog reading that I had no idea about your health struggles. I'm happy to hear your surgery was successful and that your recovery has been progressing so well. And you have a longarm to quilt with. Isn't that great incentive to get well?!! Your practice pieces look good.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...