Friday, June 2, 2023

JGQR1B

Grandson J's quilt is just almost  finished - he will get it when we meet his family in Virginia in August so I still have plenty of time. I had a difficult time when I began making J's quilt and I ended up with 2 rejects before I hit the combination of fabrics and design that I wanted. I took the each of the first two quilts with the scraps and created two quilts for a total of 4 donation quilts. The finish I have is JGQR1B (J's Graduation Quilt Reject 1B), the second quilt made from the first bypassed quilt.

This quilt is 52" square and has been washed. The outdoor pictures show the true colors better.


I free-motion quilted this with my long-arm, using 40-wt Glide #10430 Battleship gray thread on the top and 40-wt Glide #17493 Bone thread on the bottom. The motif is a square stipple which is just a wandering stitch with squarish corners.


The back is a light gray fabric.

When I made the original quilt, I made it similar to a jelly roll race but used strips of fabric a little shorter and a little wider. When I decided that the quilt was a little light in color to use in a dorm room, I rejected it. The first remade quilt (not finished yet) is like the original. The second is made from pieces cut off of the first and a few scraps. I used four pieces (5.5" X 3") sewn together to make a 10.5" X 5.5" piece. I then sewed two of the strips together to make a 10.5" X 10.5" block. 

To make the quilt, I change the orientation of each block by 90 degrees.  Some of the original 5.5" X 3" pieces are made of two pieces of fabric because when I trimmed the original quilt, there were some seamed pieces and I chose to use them.

The weather here is VERY warm and we finally got 1/2" of much needed rain yesterday. It's good weather to stay in and sew!

1 comment:

  1. What an adventure you've had to arrive at a quilt that was a keeper! It's a beauty, Jeanne. (And if you need to thin your iris bed, feel free to mail me a few rhizomes of the white with purple falls!)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...