Sunday, September 9, 2018

Go Fly a Kite

Another finish! 

I put together Go Fly a Kite in July at a retreat. It is made with 2 1/2" squares from the my scrap cleanup in May. When I put the quilt together in July, I wanted a border. At the retreat, most thought an orange border would be good. The problem was that I didn't own the right orange fabric and I didn't want to spend more money on this donation quilt.

I finally decided that kites would add the orange color and also make the quilt more of a child's quilt.

The back of the quilt is a green and orange fabric from my stash.

Using white, 50-weight Aurifil thread, I machine quilted this with a walking foot in a cross-hatch pattern through the white blocks. The quilting was done prior to adding the kites and kite strings.

For the kite strings, I used a narrow black Clover Quick Bias Fusible Tape that I have owned for years. After ironing on the tape, I appliquéd the kites and zigzag stitched the kite strings.

I found this orange with green, yellow, and dark orange stripes in my stash. It worked well for the border.

This 48" by 48" quilt has Dream Cotton batting.

We are enjoying cooler temperatures for a few days. I think it will change again within the week. I'm enjoying the hand sewing of the binding - I love the warmth of having the quilt on my lap.


  1. You are amazing! Those kites are adorable on that checkered background and the quilt is stunning. Great job!

  2. Great job. Glad you elected to finish with just the orange binding rather than a full border. The perfect splash of color from the kites. Thanks for sharing the design process.

  3. Oh my gosh - the kites really do make the quilt! Just the right amount of orange. Design opportunities abound when we don't want to spend any more money on a project. Reminds me, I have a design opportunity waiting in my sewing room. Have to cover up an 'oops!'.



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...