Thursday, December 21, 2017

Learning, Knitting, and Quilting

It's been rather busy around here. I think we have everything ready for Christmas. The last month has been a little strange in that we have been acquiring things - for us.

In late November we upgraded our phones because we needed to and the time was right - the new phones ended up being free - really! Of course there is a learning curve which is getting easier now that the SIM cards are in the correct phones. The guy made a mistake and switched the cards when he set up the phones so weird things happened - when one phone rang, so did the other; text messages either came to both phones or only went to one iPad; when we were roaming, we had no data; ...

We replaced our laptops about the same time as the phone upgrade. 

A couple of years ago, we decided to see how long we could make our old laptops last. It gave us time to save for the new ones which we both love. Of course, we have another learning curve.

We began thinking about trading in my Jeep Cherokee about a year ago. Ray really wanted something larger (he often hit his head when he got in). We found a great deal and now have a Jeep Grand Cherokee. It's a compromise for me because I love driving small vehicles but I do love some of the features and the headlights give better light. And you guessed it - another learning curve.


And then this happened - a Cricut Maker. 



It cuts almost anything including fabric.

I can draw a picture, take a picture, find a picture... and put it on my computer and the Cricut will cut it! The black fabric has Heat 'n Bond on it so it is ready to appliqué. The melon is just cotton fabric. I am planning a quilt with crayons...
I am loving this machine and learning as I go - yes, it is one more learning curve! If nothing else, I'm keeping my mind active!

I've finished a few projects.


Ray has a new pair of Chicago Bears socks.


I made a couple of alpaca hats for the friends that gave me the alpaca fleece. They match their son's hat.


I have one quilt to finish this year - the last large flannel one. It is very close - I am hand stitching the binding! I'm not sure I'll show you before Christmas but it will be done!

Tomorrow is Cookie Day with our nearby grandkids. We'll make/bake/decorate cutout cookies and gingerbread houses. It's one of my favorite holiday traditions. 

 Merry Christmas!

6 comments:

  1. And yet, you found time for a blog post!! 2018 should be a breeze with all the newness figured out. Merry Christmas!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoy your new tech toys :) I'm glad they didn't interfere with your pretty finishes. I love those striped socks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Busy, busy! I get the challenge of all the learning curves. I had another one to learn.....new oven with self cleaning, but much easier than the phone! Oh, for the days when I could take it all in stride and not bat an eye. The longer we live, the harder it gets. Something simple like making cookies will return you to a better time:) Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a busy time you have had! Your new purchases sound wonderful and I'm sure you will conquer all those learning curves. Those Chicago socks are terrific...bet he loves them. Wishing you both a very Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! So fun to get new things despite the learning curve.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I got a new phone back in October. I've done really well with it. I need a new laptop, but, that isn't the learning curve I'm interested in (I'm really tech UNsavvy). I love large SUV's and trucks, but, now have a car based SUV. Smaller than I really want, but, what I could afford. Love the flannel quilts in the next post (playing catch up, so, reading everything at one time).

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...