Sunday, January 6, 2013

First quilting project of 2013

First new project of the year - a baby boy quilt! This quilt is for our nephew and his wife. (I'm sure they don't read this blog - at least I hope not!)

I purchased some fabric for baby quilts when the Backyard Quilt Shop in Fort Atkinson, Wisconsin, was going out of business late last year.

I pulled out the baby boy fabrics - all flannels.
Then I added a little more from my stash and changed things a bit.
After piecing the middle 25 squares, it was time to decide on the inner border. That plain blue on the left was just blah. The yellow on the left was too soft.
I love my new design wall!
I finally decided on a green cotton for the inner border.

The quilting slowed me down - I just didn't know what to do. After searching thru my books from Leah Day and searching her website, I decided on Echo Shell for the 25 inner squares. 

Last year I followed the 2012 FMQ Challenge. The December expert was Patsy Thompson who did a tutorial on borders. I found it interesting but I didn't have time to try it in December. Now it was time to revisit that tutorial and try it.

The inside, green border is done with a back and forth wiggled about 1/2 inch apart with the corners done in a teardrop. The outside border was done with a walking foot. I drew lines about 1 1/2 inches apart.  


The back is that plain blue that I rejected for the front.
I really like the effect of the different quilting motifs in each border.

6 comments:

  1. You did great with your choices! It looks so cuddly:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous! And I love the quilting you did on it ... I, too, like the effect of the different motifs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Texture is awesome. It IS difficult to settle on what quilting patterns to use when faced with a "blank canvas" but your choices work so well. The green is perfect, too! Well done! Hugs, D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Doreen! I think I always have trouble when faced with a blank canvas - I'm definitely not an artist! ~Jeanne

      Delete
  4. I love the textures you're adding to the baby quilt! A young friend of mine is pregnant with her first--a boy. She's all about camo and I'm not, so I asked her if she trusted me and she said yes. I'm going with an outdoorsy theme and will be using strips of buffalo roaming the plain, deer in a field, and a rocky stream, bordered with browns & golds. Not traditional by any means, but still fun and fits what she wants. I'll be posting pix soon now that I'm kind of figured out what I'll be doing. The quilting part is always an adventure! Great job on yours!
    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is very sweet, soft, cuddly, and snuggly!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...