Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Organized! and a couple of recipes

I'm trying to be a little more organized... I don't think we are eating very well because we continually decide what to eat about an hour (if that!) before dinner. So I have reverted to menu planning like I used to do.

I planned menus for the week, made a grocery list, and bought everything I needed. I made a detailed plan and did not deviate until Tuesday! What actually happened was that we had pizza leftover from Monday night so I just rearranged the days. I'm sure we'll have more deviations but we are getting more and more meals in the freezer. That means lots of easy meals during the holidays!

Here is my dinner plan for the week:


Wednesday - Lori's Chicken (see bottom of post)
                     caramelized green beans ( a bit rich)
                     cornbread (from the freezer)
   

   
Thursday - lasagna
                 salad
                 hay hand bread (see bottom of post)

Friday   - chili
               hay hand bread (see bottom of post)

Saturday - chicken crescent squares
                 scalloped corn
                 salad

Sunday - teriyaki steak
              leftover scalloped corn
              salad

We have some new recipes and some old. Hard to believe but the lasagna (2 pans!) for tomorrow is already made and sitting in the fridge ready to bake, the bread is started, and the chicken is cooked for Saturday. I can't remember the last time our meals were this organized!
          Lori's Chicken           
This is a great recipe.
(Lori was, and still is, our Division Secretary when I was teaching at the college.)

Mix:     spinach, cheese, egg, mushrooms
Pound chicken. Wrap chicken around spinach mixture. Wrap bacon around the outside.
Bake 1 hour.
           Hay Hand Bread          
This is a brand new recipe.

(The blog where I got this said they think the name is because the recipe makes a lot – the ladies made it when all of the farmers gathered to help each other put up hay for the winter. I usually note the blog on the recipe but I didn't this time ;( As soon as I come across it again, I'll update my records.)

Ingredients
2 pkg. yeast
1 cup warm water
1 tbsp. Salt
1 cup sugar
3 cups water
In an extra large mixing bowl, mix yeast & 1 cup water until dissolved.  Stir in other ingredients until bubbly.  Cover, and let it set over night.

In the morning, to this mix, add:
3 beaten eggs                                                     
1 cup shortening (melted)
1 cup sugar
8 cups of flour
Mix together, and knead.  You may need to add a bit more flour, but your dough will be sticky. Clean the bowl, and spray it and the dough with Pam so it doesn't stick.  Cover, and let rise for 2 to 3 hours.

Pound down and shape into rolls
Let them rise again (for 2 to 3 hours).
Bake for 15 to 20 minutes at 350 degrees!

There is supposed to be lots of dough so I plan to make 2 9X13 pans of rolls, and use the remaining dough to make a pan of cinnamon rolls!

1 comment:

  1. Would you come and do this for me? Fall is always the hardest with meals as in the summer it's salads and grilled meat so not a ton of prior planning to do. I haven't quite gotten in the swing of things for winter yet.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...