Saturday, October 19, 2024

Fall Travels

It was time to get out and about. So, a couple of weeks ago, we spent some time at Anderson Gardens in Rockford, IL. There was some fall color.

On our way home, we stopped at a Wild Life Observatory where we saw many fallow deer.

A few days later, we packed the Jeep and headed north for our first vacation since Ray's recurring cancer diagnosis. We stopped for lunch at Kickapoo Corners in Reedstown, WI. The special was an apple burger - a burger with a slice of apple, Swiss cheese, grilled onions, and barbecue sauce on a toasted bun. It was really good!

We stayed in Eau Claire, WI for three nights with no specific plans other than to enjoy ourselves and get plenty of rest. The first afternoon was spent resting (Ray still tires easily) and then going in search of the northern lights.



On the second day, we went to Augusta, WI to find Dells Mill. It was a mill that was on Ray's list to photograph.


The mill is owned by an Amish family, and they had some baked goods for sale inside the building. Good cookies!

Part of the third day was spent at Falls Creek County Park. At the north entrance, we walked to the river but couldn't get a picture of the larger falls, so we drove to the south entrance and hiked down some trails to get the pictures Ray wanted. I was happy to have my hiking boots and walking sticks.

The 'dirty bubble' of foam just stayed in the same area as the water came over the falls.

We did do a little shopping - after all, we were in a city with nice stores! There are two quilt shops in Eau Claire but one is only open on Thursdays from 10-3 so we missed it this time. The other is quite small but I enjoyed my visit with the lady working and found some yellow fabric I needed. 

From Eau Claire, we headed west to visit my aunt and two cousins and then north to visit my brothers and sister-in-law. It was wonderful to see everyone and share some time together. We had beautiful sunrises.

The trees/leaves were gorgeous.


Our last stop before heading home was La Crosse, WI. We both attended and graduated from the University of Wisconsin - La Crosse many years ago, and love the area. We were there for my birthday and I found a quilt show to attend! Quilt Fest on the Mississippi is put on by the La Crosse Area Quilters. There were a variety of quilts, but I found the same pattern quilts done in different colors/fabrics the most interesting. Here is an example.


They also had an exhibit of Hmong quilts. I was so enthralled with the reverse appliqué of their quilts that I didn't take any photos. I did get a picture of this story quilt showing the life of a Hmong family from Taos to Thailand. Now, I wish I had taken some closeup shots of the detail.


This morning, we headed home with a visit to an apple orchard on the way. We are unpacked; the laundry is done; and a hockey game is on TV. We are very grateful to have been able to take this trip.

May you be strengthened by yesterday’s rain, 
walk straight in tomorrow’s wind 
and cherish each moment of the sun today.
- Ojibwe Saying

1 comment:

  1. I love those top 2 quilts. I'd love to make something like that one day. Glad you had a fun trip. I'm heading to Texas this morning (as soon as I pack up my laptop;).

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...