Saturday, July 1, 2023

Keeping busy and a finish

Life has been a rather busy around here. We've had a few appointments, many ballgames, LOTS of strawberries and zucchini to put up for some good eating this winter, and a little quilting.

I bought the Patriotic Door Banner kit in Kalona, Iowa, earlier this summer. It was quick and easy to put together. The pattern has instructions to make the pattern as a pillow turn with no quilting. I chose to quilt the banner and to use a binding (blue on the blue/white part and red on the striped part). The banner is 15 by 46 inches. 

 

I used 40-wt Glide thread - #70001 Cardinal for the red stripes, #10WG1 Linen for the blue/white area, the white stripes, and the entire back. I stippled the blue/white area.

The stripes are horizontally stippled (vertically). 

The backing from my stash, is a fabric similar to the blue stars on the front.

The banner is in use - hanging on the porch by our back door.

Here is a current picture of my design wall. Kite Flight is together and needs to be quilted.

I've recently made strawberry shortcake, strawberry cobbler,   strawberry pie, strawberry sauce, strawberry jam, and strawberry muffins. We ate all of the shortcake and I froze most everything else (we did have to sample a few things). The muffins are a new recipe and taste a lot like scones.

This past week, I also froze zucchini and zucchini cobbler. I'm making zucchini pie today (it's in the oven). It's a lot like sugar cream pie. Some will be frozen but we will eat some too - it's a favorite! Zucchini bread/muffins are coming.

I also froze some shell peas and we enjoyed eating pea pods, cabbage, cauliflower and baby red potatoes. The Amish farmers who supply most of our produce told us there should be beans this next week and more. I do love the fresh produce of summer!

To my Canadian friends, Happy Canada Day!
And to my US friends, Happy 4th of July!

2 comments:

  1. Congrats on your banner finish and all that food preservation, Jeanne!! Best of luck with quilting the Kite Flight quilt. Zucchini cobbler and pie? I love zucchini, but that just does not compute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute banner. We don't have any zucchini yet (hopefully by mid July). We did get a handful of raspberries before I flew to Alaska.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...