Tuesday, March 8, 2022

Blue Quarter Squares is finished

Last April, I posted that Joy at The Joyful Quilter had a guest blogger, Connie, who made a table topper inspired by a pattern for a quarter log cabin quilt and I went on a hunt to find a pattern or a picture. I found what I was looking for and made this block.

I guess that is the only time I posted about this quilt. I set the blocks  on point and must have finished the top by July since I stopped sewing then. It was the next up to be quilted a while ago and I decided to do some ruler work in the white squares and meandering over the rest of the quilt using dove gray Aurifil #2600 thread. That took a few days and then the poor quilt waited quite a while for binding. At last, it is done!

Please ignore fold lines.

I did not use a pattern; I just used measurements that looked good and fit my scraps. Each block began with a 4 1/2" square of white. Then I strip-pieced each piece as a quarter of a log cabin. The blocks were trimmed to 8" squares and then sewn into the quilt. 

Here is a closeup of my far-from-perfect-but-getting-better ruler work.


The backing for this 60" by 70" donation quilt is a fun and busy fabric.

The binding matches the blue setting triangles around the sides.

=====

I've been busy practicing quilting on my longarm and working on the very special gift in addition to helping Ray get ready for his knee replacement. He's had a zillion appointments and we both had to go to Joint Replacement class. We are educated! 

We both had a few other medical appointments/procedures in the middle of all of this prepping for surgery so we've been busy. I am getting more strength and stamina and think I'm ready to be a caregiver. Yesterday I actually cleared some snow!!! Our neighbor clears our snow and we only have a little bit to do. We do have a new battery run snow shovel so it wasn't a huge deal but it's been a long time since I've done it. 

In a few days Ray will have his new knee. We are both anxious to have him feeling better and to do things rather than visit the hospital!

3 comments:

  1. Beautifully done, Jeanne! (I just found my own blocks yesterday.) Best of luck with Ray's upcoming surgery.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Spotted you on a mutual friends blog and thought I'd pop over to say and visit. It's always fun to meet new bloggers. Best of luck to you and your husband with his surgery. The rehab can be long, but from my understanding so worth it. The quilt is beautiful! I like how much depth you see in it. Great colors!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice quilts you've been working on this year. Glad you are doing so well after your surgery. I hope Ray's surgery went well, too.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...