Tuesday, October 19, 2021

At Last!

The wait is finally over. The blood tests, EKG, all the scans and x-rays are done. The weird saliva COVID test is done and negative. I've been giving myself daily shots to build up my bones for over 7 months. The back surgery is finally going to happen Thursday. I. AM. READY. I'm tired of the pain and the waiting. It's been over a year but the end is really in sight.

It will be a lengthy surgery and lots of precautions are being taken. Evidently in a 2nd surgery like I'm having, tears in the dura (one of membranes around the spinal cord) and infections are a higher risk. I had a tear in the dura the first time and am hoping not to have a recurrence. My surgeon has told me this surgery will not be as invasive as the one 10 years ago so I am optimistic that this will be somewhat easier.  He also is predicting my recovery time will be 3 - 6 months. Last time it was 1 - 5 years. In any event, the nerve pain will ease and I will be able to resume a more normal life. 

A normal life that includes quilting, travel, and hiking. 
Yes, I am ready!

Update on Ray: He is doing much better and will be a great support person. 

6 comments:

  1. Best of luck on a successful surgery and speedy recovery, Jeanne!! When a friend had her hip done last year, the pain was gone immediately. There was the pain from her incision, but that felt different than the constant pain she's been in. Wishing you the best!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good Luck! I'll be thinking of you both tomorrow. Hope you have a speedy and pain free recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So happy to hear that tomorrow is the day! Will send prayers and positive thoughts for you both!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's great news! Glad the day is finally here. I know that surgery has come a very long way in the last decade, but I'll keep my fingers crossed for a fast recovery anyway. Sending hugs and prayers to you both.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been out of town, and trying to catch up with blog reading. I hope the surgery went well and that your recovery is MUCH quicker this time. Glad Ray is doing better, too.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...