Thursday, May 21, 2009

Reversible Quilt Binding

I decided that the current baby quilt would look better with different binding on the front and back so I looked through some books and found one way from Cotton Theory but I had to change it quite a bit. I wanted to put on a binding that measured the typical 2 1/2" to begin with. After a little math and a few prototypes, this is what I have.

First I cut strips for the front (blue) at 1" and the back (red) at 2" Cut as many strips as usual.


Join the strips as usual for a regular binding.

Now sew the long strips together using 1/4" seam.


Set the seam by pressing it.


Press the seam open.

I press the right side also.


Fold the binding in half lengthwise. One side is all red; the other side is red and blue.


Sew the binding on the front of the quilt. BE SURE the back binding color is on top. When the binding is folded, this side of solid color will be inside of the fold. Use a full 1/4" seam.

Here it is after I seamed the binding to the quilt.

Fold the binding to the back and pin. So you have red binding on the back.


And looking at the front, it is blue binding. Voila!


A picture of the entire baby quilt will be available AFTER the baby gets it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...