Monday, May 23, 2016

So long Vermont...

It was hard to leave Vermont - I fell in love with that area. But leave we did and now we have arrived in Bethleham, NH. It's been a fun day and I'll tell you about it soon.  For now, I'll tell you about our weekend.

In Vergennes, VT, we stayed at The Lodge at Fryslan Farm, another airbnb.com rental. The Lodge is actually 2 miles from Vergennes. It was out in the country and clean and comfy. There were no frills but we felt very welcome, had what we needed, and enjoyed meeting and visiting with our hosts. We enjoyed the food they left for us in our fridge - the meat from their general store was fantastic! They gave us milk, half and half, eggs, cheese, butter, English muffins, raisin bread, and some of the best pork sausage I've ever had! 

I don't think I've mention the solar power fields in Vermont - there are many! One dawe stopped at the solar power visitor center in Vergennes. The visitor center was just a board, about the size of a solar panel, with written information.




We enjoyed a laid back week-end. We drove to the Addison area, crossed Lake Champlain into New York and visited two historic fort sites: Great Britain's Fort Crown Point and France's Fort St. Frederic. Here are a couple of photos from there on a very cloudy day.



It was totally outside my comfort zone but for the second time in my life, I climbed to the top of a lighthouse. The lighthouse was on the short side but seemed really tall! This time it was the Champlain Memorial and Lighthouse - I even walked outside at the top!

We stopped for a SMALL ice cream cone. We were warned that the portions at this place were large - I didn't take a photo because I needed to start eating immediately. My cone was full of ice cream and I had much more than two huge scoops on top of that! From one of the daughters of our hosts, we heard that her dad, Bob, could not finish the large! There wasn't anything smaller that the small.

We drove to Button Bay State Park which was very close to us but it was closed. I did get a couple of pictures from the boat landing. This is looking across Lake Champlain.

I spent a lot of time with my ankle up - it's still swollen and sore.  This last photo from Button Bay reminds me that life could be worse - at least I wasn't using this! 

1 comment:

  1. I love lighthouses, but, I've only had the chance to be in one, several years ago. If you head to TX or OK, you'll have to try a Braum's ice cream cone. Nice large scoops.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...