Wednesday, December 16, 2015

Vegetable Beef Soup using dehydrated vegetables

I keep hunting for recipes that use dehydrated food. Some are ok but many have been somewhat disappointing. Today I decided to use a tried and true recipe and change it. Maybe I've found the key - just use my regular recipes and allow for rehydration.

This recipe calls for 4 cups of tomato juice. If I had tomato powder, I could have made tomato juice. No tomato powder because I could not get an abundance of tomatoes this past fall. I decided to just use tomatoes. I had 3 cups of frozen tomatoes and I added 1/2 cup of dehydrated tomatoes. I would have used all dehydrated but I wanted to get those last frozen tomatoes out of the freezer. The soup is not as tomatoey as the original recipe but it has a good flavor and we really liked it.

This makes 8 good sized servings and freezes well. Sorry I forgot to take photos! 

Vegetable Beef Soup in Slow Cooker

2 c  cubed beef
3 c frozen tomatoes
½ c dehydrated tomatoes
2 T dehydrated onion flakes
¼ c dehydrated carrot chips
¼ c dehydrated celery
½ c dehydrated cabbage
1 c dehydrated potatoes
8 ¼ c water  (original recipe called for 4c; added 4 ¼ c for dehydrated veggies)
2 t salt
1 T sugar
2 t chili powder
¼ t pepper

Brown beef. Can use oil but I didn’t. Add all to slow cooker. Cook 6 hours on low.


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...