Saturday, April 4, 2015

Underwear Blue

Two grandsons came to visit on Thursday. They often have a mental list when they come and it usually includes making cookies and sewing. Thursday was no different. After making chocolate chip cookies and eating lunch, we headed upstairs to the sewing rooms. They needed a new project so we began a donation quilt. I had a couple of blocks left from when I tried a technique I saw a while back and they made more.


I do not know where I saw this technique - if you know, please tell me so I can give credit. You do not end up with sharp points or any points for that matter but it is a fun process for beginner sewers.

1. Begin with a square for the center of the block. I'll call this square A.

2. Cut another square the same size as square A. I'll call this square B.

3. Place right sides of square A and B together and sew all four sides with 1/4" seams.  

4. On the wrong side of square B, draw an X from corner to corner. 
5. Now carefully cut the X through the square B side only. 


6. Press the triangles out from the center block.
 

7. Square up the piece. This is the new square A.

Repeat steps 2 - 7 until the block is the size you want it to be.

The center squares all came from a piece of fabric with construction vehicles. Younger grandson picked out a piece of fabric that he liked - the one on the bottom -
and I found some 'plain' yardage in those colors for the points on the blocks. He picked up one piece of blue fabric and called it underwear blue.

Underwear blue? I questioned that but wasn't really getting an answer so I asked the older boy. He said it looked like underwear. What? Later, while they were looking at the fabric, I watched and listened. Then I got it! They thought the selvage looked like the waistband on underwear and the design of the fabric looked like some they owned! I think there might be a lot of underwear fabrics in my stash!

Typically these two boys use the scraps in my stash. It never occurred to me that they've never seen the selvage on yardage. 

Don't you love sewing your children or grandchildren? I do!

2 comments:

  1. I haven't had a sewing day with my granddaughter in quite some time. Maybe one day this summer when they're out of school and life settles down a little for all of us. I'll have to ask my grandsons if they want to sew ... I'm guessing the 13 year old might say no - he's at the stage where he's so very conscious of appearances. Sewing might not be "manly" enough for his 13-y.o. self. Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds like a fun day. Isn't it funny how kids come up with 'names' and the reasoning behind it is always so funny but true.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...