On our spring trip, we went out to eat one night in Elkins, WV. Across the street was the Elkins Sewing Center. Ray saw a quilted jacket in the window before I did and we both decided that we needed to stop and get a closer look the next morning when the shop was open. I ended up buying the pattern and fabric - a LOT of fabric. Later I bought MORE fabric when I understood what "base fabric" meant in the pattern. Then I spent HOURS cutting and sewing. I have made 6 mini-quilts. Each was pieced and machine quilted. There are about 1175 pieces of fabric in these six mini-quilts! I have MANY hours in this project. One of my friends has dubbed it as the Million Dollar Jacket - my time must be worth a lot!
I'm not done - I still have to make the jacket! Here are the mini-quilts:
One side of the front:
This is quilted in a double x pattern on the four patches. The plain blue squares are 2" squares.
The other side of the front:
The quilting mirrors the drunkard's path. Each square has a side of 4".
This brick piece is quilted with straight lines about 1/4" from each seam. Each brick is 1 1/2" wide.
The other sleeve:
The rails are quilted with with x's. Each square of 3 fabrics is 3" square.
The tiny bricks are 1" wide and quilted about 3/8" from each seam.
And the back - it will be hard to cut this one!
I quilted each windmill in a square spiral. The square outside of the windmill (light blue below) is quilted in lines radiating outward. Each block (the windmill with the blue below) is 11 1/2".
All of the fabrics are batiks. The batting is a nice weight flannel.
One of these days I might have a jacket!